Chai-Spiced Tea Loaves
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon water
1 black tea tea bag (I used french vanilla black tea)
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons chai spice blend OR 6 TBS of powdered chai mix*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
5 large eggs OR 1 1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1 cup confectioners' sugar
Yield: Six mini loaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour six mini metal loaf pans. I only used five-which made for pleasantly plump loaves.
2. Heat 1/2 cup water until it boils. Place tea bag in water and set it aside to steep.
3. Combine flour, chai spice (or alternate!), baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. In small bowl, mix yogurt with 1/3 cup cooled tea; discard any remaining tea. This is a very scary looking mix, but I promise-it will be delicious.
5. In large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in granulated and brown sugar.
6. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until well blended. Mix in both flour and yogurt mixture until combined. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
7. Bake loaves until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Mine took about 35-40 minutes. Cool loaves in pans for 15 minutes, then remove from pans and allow to cool for another 30 minutes.
8. Mix confectioners' sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon water until it creates a smooth, thick glaze. Place glaze in Ziploc bag; snip opening from corner, and drizzle glaze over loaves. Let stand until glaze sets, about 20 minutes.
Enjoy! Delicious with peppermint tea :)*Now, I love chai. But I've never seen "chai spice". I substituted for 6 TBS of Pacific Chai powder. Not nearly as classy, but it got the job done.